WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Eagles Head Into The Holidays On A High Note At UNH

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Last night, the Boston College women’s ice hockey team extended their record-breaking unbeaten streak to twelve straight games, defeating the University of New Hampshire Wildcats decisively with a score of 4-1. The game, played at the University of New Hampshire, was the seventh game in a row that the Eagles have been victorious, a team record.

The first period of the game demonstrated strong defense from both teams, resulting in a score of 0-0. A total of 15 shots occurred during the opening period, nine of which were fired off by the Eagles. Senior goaltender Corrine Boyles denied all six shots fired by the Wildcats.

Both teams kept up firm defenses during the second period, but freshman Haley Skarupa managed to beat UNH goaltender Jenn Gilligan on a forehand deke with assistance from Alex Carpenter. However, the Wildcats began to pick up their intensity offensively, firing off eight shots against the Eagles, who totaled only four shots during this period. Boyles was able to continue to hold her ground against the Wildcats aim, but an interference penalty shot allowed UNH to bring the score to a tie at 1-1.

The Eagles came out with renewed force in the final period, with senior forward Caitlin Walsh scoring in the first few minutes of the period. Her fellow senior Ashley Motherwell followed suit with another goal shortly afterward. Meagan Mangene, a junior, capped off the 4-1 victory minutes later, scoring off a loose puck at the top of the crease. The Eagles held on to their lead for the remainder of the game, continuously preventing UNH from gaining further scoring opportunities.

The BC women’s ice hockey team is currently ranked No. 6, with their win over UNH bringing their record to 11-3-2. The Eagles have tied or won twelve their last consecutive games. The Wildcats have a record of 7-11-1.

In addition to extending their successful streak, several members of the team earned special recognition during last night’s game. Carpenter, a sophomore forward, extended her individual point streak to 14 games, and Skarupa’s goal was her fifth within the last three games. Walsh’s goal ended a nearly year long personal drought, while Boyles enjoyed her ninth straight decision win.

With the successes of last night to hold them over, the women’s ice hockey team will enjoy several weeks off before returning to the ice on Jan. 3rd, when they will travel to Potsdam, New York, to face off against No. 2 seated Clarkson University at 7 p.m.