WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Eagles Split Two-Game Home Set With Minnesota Duluth

Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

wh

The No. 6 Boston College women’s hockey team (2-3-0, 1-3-0 Hockey East) learned its lesson after a 3-2 loss against the University of Minnesota Duluth (3-4-1, 2-3-1 WCHA) on Thursday, when it came back to beat the Bulldogs 3-2 in the second game of the back-to-back series.

Goals from Haley Skarupa, Ashley Motherwell, and Alex Carpenter led the Eagles to victory on Friday night at Kelley Rink. Skarupa and Carpenter racked up two points, along with Emily Field, who assisted the second and third goals.

BC outshot Minnesota-Duluth by three, with 26 total shots. The game also maintained a strong physicality, with 14 individual penalties—eight from the Bulldogs and six from the Eagles.

“At the end of [Thursday’s] game, I think that we really had the momentum and we were really playing well,” said head coach Katie King Crowley. “To not be able to find a way to get that tying goal—I think that affected us. I really liked the way the kids rebounded, came back, and started off with a bang. They really found a way to win. [Minnesota Duluth] is a really good team over there. Our team played a really good game [Friday], and did the things they needed to win.”

On Thursday, the Eagles forced 39 saves out of Minnesota Duluth goalie Kayla Black and outshot the Bulldogs by 14, but still could not manage an equalizing goal. BC found itself down 3-0 in the third period, but goals from Carpenter and Emily Pfalzer provided some late consolation for the struck down Eagles.

After the end of the first period on Friday, the story looked to be the same.

The Eagles looked the better of the two teams on the ice. Yet it was Minnesota Duluth’s Jenna McParland who grabbed the first goal, capitalizing on a rebound after her teammate Tea Villila’s shot to put the Bulldogs ahead 1-0.

The Bulldogs carried this lead into the locker room after the first period.

“We talked about finding a way to score goals,” Crowley said of what she told the team at the break. “You need to have that intensity and desire around that net to put pucks in the net.”

The Eagles fought back, though, and netted two in the second period. After a flurry of activity around the Bulldog’s goal, Skarupa managed to push the puck through a crowd of players and grab the equalizer.

Around four minutes later, BC worked the puck around the opposing third on a power play and a backhanded pass across the slot fell right at the stick of Motherwell, who converted it into the goal.

At the start of the third period, the Eagles extended their lead to 3-1 when Carpenter snatched up a blocked puck off a shot from Skarupa.

Crowley was impressed with how the team played on the power play.

“I thought our power plays did well, with two power play goals,” she said. “We need that. We have so many offensive weapons that we need to capitalize on those. Alex Carpenter, Haley Skarupa, Emily Field, Ashley Motherwell, and Blake Bolden did a really good job to score goals in that situation. We talked at the beginning of the third period, when we were on the power play coming out, and I said this is a big goal—we need to score a goal on this power play. They did it. Those kids really battled during that power play to make it happen.”

Nonetheless, the Bulldogs found a late goal in the form of Shara Jasper, who netted after Jessica Wong passed it across the face of the goal.

Freshman defenseman Kaliya Johnson was impressed by the team’s overall performance on Friday.

“We had more of a chip on our shoulder [on Friday night] and came out stronger,” Johnson said. “Last game we didn’t come out our hardest, which we obviously paid for in the end. But we didn’t wait until the third period to step up our game.

“I thought we played great. We came out strong and were all over them and then we just stepped it up in the second and third period.”

Her coach thought much the same.

“I thought we played pretty well,” Crowley said. “We were put in different positions. Whether it was killing a penalty 5-on-3, in a situation where we were up 3-1 or if we had to put the pressure back on them, when they were on us in that third period. I thought our kids did really well to put the pressure back on them.”

Up next, the Eagles play at Boston University on Wednesday at 7 p.m. They lost their first game of the season to the Terriers, who beat them 4-2.

“We played them the first game of the year,” Crowley said. “We are a different team now, even though it’s only been four or five games from there. But I know our kids will be looking forward to it. It will be a good battle for us.”

Johnson put it simply: “I’m ready for payback.”