WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Eagles Sweep Black Bears In Weekend Scoring Flurry

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

After its 7-2 win against Maine on Friday, the No. 5 Boston College women’s hockey team (9-3-2, 6-2-1 WHEA) defeated the Black Bears (2-10-1, 1-8-0 WHEA) again on Saturday in a 10-0 contest, which is the most they have scored since 1999, when they defeated Colby College by the exact same score.

Freshman Dana Trivigno netted her first career hat trick and six other players marked the score sheet on the night. At the end of the first period, BC was up 4-0 on the Black Bears. Trivigno scored the first two goals, with the second coming off of a power play, and sophomore forwards Emily Field and Kate Leary both lit the lamp to round out the first.

The second period started much the same, with Trivigno opening the scoring, and securing her hat trick after putting home a slap pass from Lexi Bender. After this, BC managed to pace their goals to three every period, all of which were at even strength.

Kristina Brown and Melissa Bizzari capped off the game with one goal a piece near the end of the third period to give the Eagles a record tying night.

Trivigno and Field led the team in points, both racking up five points.

The Black Bears forced seven saves out of Corinne Boyles (8-1-0) and two from freshman goaltender Taylor Blake, who played during the third period.

BC managed to outshoot Maine 41-9 throughout the game. Also, forward Alex Carpenter just managed to keep her point streak alive when she assisted Haley Skarupa. This gives her 13 straight games with a point.

This was the second game of the series, and the story the night before was not much different, but it was a different freshman, Skarupa, who managed the hat trick as she led the Eagles to a 7-2 victory over the Black Bears on Friday.

Despite the eventual five-goal lead, though, BC managed to go down by one during the first period. Maine opened the scoring with Brittany Dougherty, when she placed one past goaltender Boyles at a little over five minutes in.

BC fought back though, bringing the game to a tie before the end of the period with a goal by Skapura. Despite outshooting the Black Bears 19-4 in the first periods, the Eagles went into the first intermission tied.

The Eagles came out with a strong start to the second period, with an early goal by Kate Leary, giving them their first lead of the night. A powerplay goal by Skarupa padded the Eagles lead, and continued offensive pressure that resulted in 22 shots on goal on the period stifled Maine’s efforts until late in the period when they pulled the Eagles’ lead to one with a powerplay goal of their own.

Skarupa bagged her hat trick in the third period, scoring two within eight minutes of the final period starting. Captain Blake Bolden put the final goal in, off of a power play, assisted by Skarupa.

Putting together both games, BC won the series with a goal differential of 17-2 and outshot the Black Bears by 75. BC is now unbeaten in 11 straight games, and will look to continue this streak at New Hampshire on Wednesday, the last game before the holiday break.