WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Solid Effort Not Enough For BC In Tie

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

Coming off of a strong 6-1 victory over the Providence Friars last Wednesday night, the No. 5 Boston College women’s hockey team skated to a 3-3 tie against Dartmouth Monday night in New Hampshire. The Eagles performed well defensively, with goaltender Megan Miller stopping 28 shots in the game and improving to 1-2-2 on the season. Yet despite solid play on both ends of the ice, it wasn’t enough to come away with the win.

The Eagles dominated play for most of the first period, as they outshot their opponents 12-5, but Dartmouth’s Lisa Berreman scored the first goal of the game at 8:37 on a power play.

Miller was able to keep the Big Green’s deficit at one, as she made stops on a 2-on-1 and a point blank shot.

BC got on the scoreboard in the 14th minute, when Dartmouth’s Lindsay Holdcroft was unable to hold on to a shot from Dru Burns. Melissa Bizzari picked up the rebound and put it between the pipes to tie the game. The assist was Burns’ first point of the season. The teams closed off the first period with a 1-1 tie.  
Just like they did in the first period, the Eagles controlled the start of the second frame. In the fifth minute, Emily Pfalzer broke through Dartmouth’s defense and sent the puck to Haley Skarupa, who one-timed it past Holdcroft to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead.

At 10:45, Emily Field scored on a successful power play, assisted by teammates Ashley Motherwell and Alex Carpenter. With the assist, Carpenter extended her point streak to seven games.

“Alex is a great player, and she is someone we definitely rely on to provide an offensive punch,” said head coach Katie King Crowley. “She is so young, as a sophomore, and I only see her improving and improving every game that she plays in and every opportunity that she has.”
Although the Eagles stayed ahead for the first two periods, Dartmouth outshot them 13-5 in the final stanza and brought the match to a tie. Reagan Fischer scored early against Miller, cutting BC’s lead to 3-2. Then, in the final two minutes of play, Fischer netted the equalizer that brought the two teams into overtime.

In the extra frame, despite outshooting the Big Green 3-1, the Eagles were unable to get any shots past Holdcroft and the game concluded in a 3-3 tie.

“It is a little disappointing,” said Crowley of the resulting tie. “One of the things that we have been talking a lot about is playing the whole 60 minutes of hockey. We have to make sure that we are really taking care of the whole game and not just part of the game.”
Offensively, BC’s three goals gave them a remarkable 21 goals in its last four games alone.

“Our strength continues to be our team speed,” Crowley said. “We have scored quite a few goals here in the last three or four games. We typically, in years past, haven’t scored as many goals as we have recently.”
Crowley hopes her team will keep up their endurance and high energy level in the home-and-home coming up against their league rival Northeastern this weekend.

“Northeastern is a good team, so we’re going to have to come out ready to go and with a lot of fight in us,” she said. “League games are so important.”
The Eagles will head to Matthews Arena on Friday night before hosting the Huskies at Kelley Rink on Sunday afternoon.