WOMEN'S SOCCER: BC Bounces Back At Home

After Lineup Changes, Eagles Return To Form vs. NCSU

Published: Monday, October 15, 2012

After suffering a 3-2 overtime loss to Maryland on Thursday night, the No. 23 Boston College women’s soccer team came back with a vengeance this Sunday to defeat NC State 6-2 in a home match. After making some changes to the starting lineup, the Eagles entered the game with a prepared and potent offense that came ready to play.

In just 20 minutes, BC scored an impressive five goals against their Wolfpack rivals. Freshman Jana Jeffrey set the tone early on in the game, scoring the team’s first goal after only four minutes of play, coming from two unbelievable assists upfield by teammates Stephanie McCaffrey and Casey Morrison.

The Eagles maintained an aggressive offense following the goal. Kristie Mewis scored only four minutes later in a sensational unassisted 20-yard goal.

The greatest adjustment that BC made coming into the game was in its offensive lineup. This time around, the Eagles proved to be more dangerous in their attack.

“Kristie Mewis and Jana Jeffrey offered us so much,” said head coach Alison Foley. “Kristie from the left flank was phenomenal with her service. I mean, she got three assists from the wide channel, and we’ve been looking to get better service in the box and she provided that.”
With the help of Mewis and Jeffrey, the Eagles succeeded in burying their opponents early on. McKenzie Meehan scored two more goals for BC in the first period, coupled with a goal by McCaffrey. The Eagle defense allowed only one goal in the first period, scored by NC State’s Brittany Stanko.

Following such an eventful first half, the second half proved to be fairly slow by comparison. BC used the second half as an opportunity to get some inexperienced players on the field, who succeeded in keeping their opponents at bay.

McCaffrey had her second goal of the game in the 53rd minute. Meanwhile, the Eagles defense allowed only one goal in the second period from NC State freshman Rachel Harris, bringing the final score to a 6-2 victory by the Eagles.

Coach Foley attributes many of the team’s shortcomings in recent matches to a slow start and missed opportunities on goal. Following the recent loss, she and the staff reevaluated the offensive lineup and made changes accordingly.

“The biggest message was to take care of business early,” Foley said. “I don’t think we played poorly in too many matches. I thought we played well in Maryland, but the problem I had with that is that we kept a team that we were better than and on top of around.”
Because of their strong performances both defensively and offensively, NC State didn’t spend much time hanging “around” BC’s goal, especially in the first half. At the half, the Eagles held an impressive lead with the score at 5-1. Even more impressively, however, are the shot statistics: For the first half, BC shot 17 times and allowed NC State only one shot on goal. Although BC could not keep up this level of offensive energy for the second half, they still held an impressive 23-10 lead in shots on goal at the end of the game.

The offensive adjustments, coupled with their aggressiveness on goal, proved a success for the Eagles. Foley commented,  “We needed to find our most committed starting line up and our most potent starting lineup, and I think we did that.”
Armed with this potency on offense and consistency on defense, BC will go on to face No. 1 Florida State on Thursday in a home match that is sure to put this new offensive line-up to the test.