WOMEN'S SOCCER: BC Earns NCAA Tournament Bid

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

On Monday, it was announced that the Boston College women’s soccer team (10-7-3) had earned its 10th consecutive berth into the NCAA women’s soccer tournament. The Eagles are set to host Hofstra (11-8-2) tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Newton.

For the tournament, 30 teams earn automatic bids, and 34 spots are relegated to teams to make up the bracket.

BC is one of nine ACC teams to receive a bid into the 2012 tournament. Hofstra, the champion of the Colonial Athletic Conference, is a familiar foe for the Eagles. In the 2010 NCAA tournament, the two teams faced off in the second round with BC taking the match 3-1  following a goal and an assist from Kristie Mewis and a goal from Zoe Lombard.

Head coach Alison Foley, who has led the program to 12 of its 16 NCAA tournament appearances, is not taking this opportunity for granted.

“Certainly, this never gets old. We never take [an NCAA bid] for granted,’’ Foley said. “We are very happy to be at home and feel we used this layoff in a positive manner. We will be ready to go.”
The Eagles are coming off their ACC Tournament quarterfinal loss to No. 1 seed Florida State. The Seminoles blanked BC, 4-0, putting the Eagles’ chance for a national berth into question.

After the game, Foley held onto hope that her squad would have the chance to extend its season to tournament play.

“We hope we did enough during the regular season to get that opportunity to get a bid,” she said at the time. “There is a lot we can learn and there are a lot of good things we have about our program.”