WOMEN'S SOCCER: Clutch McCaffrey Scores Two Late-Game Goals To Lift BC

Eagles Bounce Back In Second Half To Get Past Hokies

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

After a tough loss loss on Thursday night against No. 14 Wake Forest, the Boston College women’s soccer team came ready to play this Sunday against No. 8 Virginia Tech. After fighting through over 80 minutes of failed attempts on goal and disappointment, the Eagles came back in the final seven minutes of play with two goals by sophomore forward Stephanie McCaffrey, all that BC needed in the 2-1 decision.

The Hokies set the tone for the game early on. Fifteen minutes into play, Virginia Tech’s Ashley Meier dished the ball to forward Shannon Mayrose, who connected seamlessly with the low far corner. BC attempted only two more shots on goal in the first period, and the Hokies held onto their lead.

The offense attempted to neutralize Virginia Tech’s seemingly impenetrable defense by drastically increasing its shots on goal in the second half. The stats speak to the aggressive offensive strategy that the Eagles showed in the second half, with 13 attempts on goal compared to a meager two attempts by the Hokies.

Although BC’s strategic advances were undoubtedly a team effort, McCaffrey’s execution in the clutch was what eventually sealed the win for the Eagles. As the clock approached 84 minutes, BC forward/midfielder Rachel Davitt sent a low cross from the corner to McCaffrey, who flicked it into the goal. Less than two minutes later, McCaffrey battled her way up the field to score her second goal of the game and sixth for the season.

As head coach Alison Foley had predicted, the Hokies proved to be a challenging defensive opponent. Prior to this game, Tech goalkeeper Dayle Colpitts had allowed only two goals all season. For Colpitts and fellow Hokie goalkeeper Caroline Kelly, it is not unusual to post shutout games. Up until the last seven minutes of play, a shutout against BC seemed like a very likely possibility.  
Yet the Virginia Tech defense was worn down and unable to keep up with BC’s potent offense. McCaffrey came through for her team, and BC prevailed in the end with a glorious 2-1 victory.