WOMEN'S SOCCER: Eagles Dominate Harvard

Mewis Becomes All-Time Points Leader In The Win

Published: Monday, September 17, 2012

wsoccer

On a historic day for senior midfielder Kriste Mewis, No. 5 Boston College flew up and over cross-town rival Harvard en route to an 8-1 victory on Saturday night in Cambridge. Thanks to her first career hat trick, Mewis broke the school record for points scored with 96 during her four years on the Heights.

“Tonight [Mewis] showed why she is the best player to date to wear a BC uniform,’’ said head coach Alison Foley.

In their final tune up before entering the heart of ACC play, the Eagles (7-0-2, 1-0-0 ACC) took an early 1-0 lead over Harvard just four minutes into the game by way of Mewis’ first goal. Harvard (3-2-1) was quick to respond in the seventh minute, but it would prove to be the Crimson’s first and only response.

Mewis grabbed the lead again for BC in the 17th minute with her second goal. BC, in the last 15 minutes of the first half, relentlessly attacked the Harvard goal, notching three more goals before the halftime whistle. Freshmen midfielders McKenzie Meehan and Jana Jeffrey both netted goals, and junior midfielder and captain Gabby Wagner struck home a penalty kick.

“I thought we had a lot of players that moved the ball really well for us,” Foley said.

Just minutes into the second half, Mewis tipped her proverbial cap with her third and final goal of the contest. The senior extended her points streak to nine games, now just two games short of tying her own record set at 11, which she set as a sophomore. Mewis, a 5-foot-9 attacking midfielder from Massachusetts, now stands alone as the most accomplished goal scorer to ever put on the BC jersey, surpassing Sarah Rahko’s 2003 record. With 96 career points, Mewis could put the record out of reach with another prodigious season at the top of the Eagle attack.

The Eagle defense stymied Harvard for most the game, allowing just four shots in the first half and 15 total.

Senior Victoria DiMartino converted a penalty kick five minutes into the second half, and later Meehan booted in her second goal of the night and final goal for BC.

Anchoring the Eagles’ defense and making sure Harvard could only score once was defender Casey Morrison, who earned praise from her coach following the game.

“Casey Morrison was an incredible leader in the back and truly was a treat for people to watch her play,” Foley said.

So far, the Eagles have been led by veterans such as Mewis, DiMartino, and Wagner, but have received a key boost from freshmen like Meehan and Jeffery, in addition to sophomore forward Stephanie McCaffrey. Mewis leads the team with nine goals, but Meehan, McCaffrey, and Jeffery trail with six, four, and three respectively. The Eagles have outscored their opponents 20-4 in their last five games. Mewis alone has eight goals the past five games.

The Eagles will need all hands on deck as they embark on their first real ACC test, a two-game road trip to No. 14 Wake Forest (3-1-2, 0-0-2 ACC) on Thursday and No. 9 Virginia Tech (3-2-1, 0-1-1 ACC) on Sunday.