WOMEN'S SOCCER: Eagles Get Shut Out By Pepperdine

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

Callie Payetta of the No. 20 Pepperdine Waves scored the lone goal to upset the No. 5 Boston College women’s soccer team, 1-0, on Saturday afternoon. The game, played at Harvard’s Soldiers Field Park, was scoreless until just after the start of the second half, when Payetta converted a low cross off of a throw-in into the back of goalkeeper Alexa Gaul’s net.

Pepperdine came out strong in the first half. It stuck to a game plan heavily relying on the speed of right-winger Ally Holtz and forward Lynn Williams.

The consistent pace of these two gave the BC backline some problems.

Lynn bagged up five shots with three of them on target, mainly gaining her chances from long through balls and using her pace to slip past defenders.

However, BC maintained a good amount of possession and kept up some pressure on the Waves’ defense.

Perhaps the best chance of the half for the Eagles came from freshman substitute McKenzie Meehan, who jumped on an excellent through ball, but ended up poking the ball directly at the opposing keeper, while battling a defender.

Meehan also put another shot wide, and contributed heavily to the Eagles’ offensive pressure in the first half.

Head coach Alison Foley called the half “sloppy,” but did give credit to the substitutes for adding energy and cleaning up the play.

The second half started off with a bang, due to Pepperdine’s goal at the beginning. This changed the momentum of the game, and then BC began to dominate.

They kept a majority of possession and chances, and a multitude of crosses were sent into the Waves’ box.

It looked as if the Eagles would score, but the ball never found the back of the goal. One of the better chances came from Patrice Vettori, when she snatched up a cross in the box, but put it over the crossbar.

Defender Casey Morrison did not let her position define her when she began to send in accurate long balls from behind the halfway mark. One of these landed on the head of Meehan, who headed it just wide.

Toward the end of the game, the entire team stood up near the sidelines to cheer on their teammates, but despite their efforts, the Eagles could not find consolation.

“A bit sloppy on our half, a bit unlucky, probably summarizes it,” Foley said.

She added, “We had some decent chances. I thought, you hate to say it, that we were a bit unlucky.”