WOMEN'S SOCCER: Florida State Kicks BC Out Of Tourney

Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

The No. 21 Boston College women’s soccer team faced its most feared opponent in the first game of the ACC Tournament yesterday afternoon, No. 3 Florida State. After the Eagles’ recent upset of the Seminoles a week and a half ago, BC had to prepare for a hard-fought game on FSU’s home turf. The result was a tough one, as the Seminoles won 4-0.

The odds were not in the Eagles’ favor as the game started off with a quick goal from Dagny Brynjarsdottir in the first minute of play. As BC tried to recover, it once again let FSU score in the fifth minute of play, making the score 2-0 after just a few minutes. The Eagles quickly tried to get back on their feet, but it just wasn’t enough—BC continued to commit more fouls out of frustration and began to substitute players in and out, trying to switch things up. After the first half of play, BC went into the locker room down two goals and had to devise a plan to make a comeback in the second half.

During the second half, the Eagles came out firing shots, knowing that this could be their last chance. After just eight minutes of play in the second half, the Seminoles scored again, slowly putting BC out of its misery. As the half continued, the Eagles could not put any decent shots together. After FSU scored its fourth goal in the 70th minute, head coach Alison Foley thought it was time for a change in the net—she made three substitutions, one of them being goalie Jessica Mickelson for Alexa Gaul. BC ended the game in a 4-0 loss to Florida State, a team who they had just beat a week prior.

This season, the women’s soccer team has certainly accomplished many feats, including taking down the upset of the Seminoles, which they were unable to duplicate yesterday. Coaches always explain how hard it is to beat a team twice in one season, and in this example, BC experienced it firsthand. Florida State will continue on to the semifinals against Virginia, as the Eagles will keep their fingers crossed for a potential NCAA bid.