WOMEN'S SOCCER: Momentum Swings Out Of BC's Favor Against Duke

Published: Monday, October 8, 2012

From early on, No. 13 Boston College trailed No. 9 Duke in an exhilarating soccer match this past Sunday in Durham, NC.  Momentum played a big role in the Blue Devils’ victory, as they took down the Eagles 4-2. Throughout the game, the pendulum swayed back and forth as BC struggled to get shots on goal.

Duke started off with a quick goal in the 21st minute, and kept the lead throughout the first half.

“[The factor] was the momentum shifts during the game,” said head coach Alison Foley. “I think we started pretty slow and I think Duke started very sharp. They had the better of us in the first half, we came out and tied it up in the second half, 1-1, and at that point I thought momentum was in our favor.”

The Eagles tied up the game at 1-1 with a goal from Kristen Mewis, but shortly after, the Blue Devils scored their second goal,, forcing BC to play catch up. Duke then proceeded to make it 3-1, slowly putting the Eagles out of their misery.

“We pushed our numbers forward to try to tie it back up and got caught with it, and they got the last one for the risk you take,” Foley explained.

BC started a comeback with Kate McCarthy putting one in the back of the net in the 77th minute, but it just wasn’t enough. Duke managed to score another one in the 88th minute, making the Eagles travel back to Chestnut Hill with a bad taste in their mouths.

Overall, the Blue Devils had 17 shots, eight of which were on target, whereas the Eagles only managed to have eight shots, three of which were on target.

“They have a front three [players] that are very dynamic and very dangerous,” Foley said. “They are very opportunistic, and are very creative up top. It was a matter of them having the ball more than we did. From the slow start to minimal shots on goal, BC will need to play more aggressive in the coming matchups against Maryland and North Carolina State.

Additionally, the Eagles are looking forward to traveling back home. The past six games have been on the road, which has affected many of the players thus far.

“Without question we’re looking forward to getting home,” Foley said. “We have two huge games at home with Maryland and NC State, and I think we’re all ready to get home and play in front of a home crowd—certainly it will help in coming out stronger from the first whistle. I think our home crowd will help us a lot.”

As the Eagles travel back home, some lineup changes may be seen in the near future.

“I think we have to take a look at where we are,” Foley said. “We’re 14 games into it, and I think it’s time to take a look at who is offering the most production. I think that it will be something we will evaluate as a staff, and implement it from this point on.”