WOMEN'S SOCCER: Season Ends After Loss To Penn State

Published: Monday, November 19, 2012

After a very successful season, the Boston College women’s soccer team fell to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, Penn State. The Eagles faced the Nittany Lions at University Park, Penn. on Friday night and, after a hard-fought game, were defeated by a score of 5-2.

Penn State took control of the game in the first half, leading the Eagles 2-0. Maya Hayes, the Big-10 Forward of the Year, scored the first goal a mere 48 seconds into the game. Hayes also scored the second goal for the Nittany Lions. Although the Eagles were not able to score during the first half, they did outshoot Penn Sate 18-10.

“Certainly Penn State has a dangerous attack. They attack with six, and all six are capable of scoring goals,” said head coach Alison Foley to BC media relations. “They serve balls well, and they get in the box, so certainly they are a team that is opportunistic.”
At the beginning of the second half, Penn State’s Mallory Weber managed to score to widen the margin to 3-0.

Things began to look up for the Eagles when a Penn State defender committed a foul in the box, providing BC senior midfielder Kristie Mewis with a penalty shot. Mewis’s shot was successful, putting the Eagles on the board with a score of 3-1 and plenty of time left in the second half.

Shortly after her first goal of the game, Mewis got another ball past Penn State’s goalkeeper Erin McNulty. Mewis’ second goal, which was assisted by fellow senior Victoria DiMartino, brought the Eagles within one goal of the Nittany Lions.

Toward the end of the second half, Penn State’s Raquel Rodriguez scored the Nittany Lions’ fourth goal. Some confusion on the part of BC’s defense led to a fifth goal, which was credited to Weber.

“I think it was amazing how the players responded,” Foley said. “A lot of teams certainly at that point—down 3-0—would have given up. The most important thing to me and the most important quality we have in our kids is an attitude to never give up, to have commitment. It was a true test of their character even when the odds were against them. At that point, I was really proud of how the team committed themselves and got themselves back in the game.”
Despite the final score, it was not an entirely unsuccessful end to the Eagles’ season. Mewis’ two goals marked her 38th and 39th career goals, making her BC’s all-time leading goal scorer. The game left the Eagles with a final season record of 11-8-3.