WOMEN'S SOCCER: UVA Offense Overpowers BC

Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

The No. 21 Boston College women’s soccer team (10-6-3, 4-5-1 ACC) was not able to pull off the upset against the No. 10 Virginia Cavaliers (13-4-1, 6-3-1) Thursday night in Charlottesville. With the Eagles leading 1-0 at half, the Cavaliers scored five unanswered goals in the second half to defeat BC by a score of 5-1. This loss at Klockner Stadium marked the end of the regular season for the Eagles, and was the final regular season ACC women’s soccer match of the season.

In a hard-fought first half where both teams came out aggressively on offense, the Eagles were able to strike first. In the 33rd minute of play, BC senior Victoria DiMartino received a pass inside the box from Stephanie McCaffrey, which she was able to control from six yards out and direct to the back of the net to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead. With this finish, DiMartino recorded her second goal of the season.

The Eagles held strong on defense and continued to attack offensively, giving them momentum heading into halftime with a 1-0 lead. Both teams recorded nine shots in the first half, while Virginia had two corner kicks compared to zero by BC. Senior midfielder Kristie Mewis recorded five shots for the Eagles in the first half, two of which were on goal. BC senior goalkeeper Alexa Gaul stopped three shots in the first half, while Cavalier keepers Carrie Wiseman and Danielle DeLisle combined for three saves, one by Wiseman and two by DesLisle.

The second half was dominated by a hungry Virginia offense, which used five unanswered goals by five different players to help defeat the Eagles. The first of the Cavaliers’ goals came just four minutes into the second half, when junior Morgan Stith launched a cross to the opposite side of the field where sophomore Danielle Colaprico was able to control it and strike a shot just under the crossbar for her fourth goal of the year.

Tied at 1-1, the Cavaliers wasted no time before gaining the lead, scoring 58 seconds later. This goal came when freshman midfielder Emily Sonnett hustled from one end of the field to the other, dumped the ball off to senior Caroline Miller, then quickly received it back just outside of the box and snuck it past the pursuing goalie Gaul for her first career goal.

Leading 2-1, Virginia built upon its second half momentum to score just 10 minutes later in the 60th minute of play. This occurred when Miller received a pass from senior Erica Hollenberg in the middle of the field, which she dribbled to the 18 yard-line and shot just inside of the post to give the Cavaliers a 3-1 lead. This was Miller’s 13th goal of the season.

Despite a hard-working BC defense, Virginia’s aggressive offense was able to net two more goals before the match was complete. In the 73rd minute of play, sophomore midfielder Morgan Brian made her way into the box and sent a cross in front of the goal, which junior Molly Menchel was able to net for her fourth goal of the season. Virginia would score one more time in the 87th minute of play, when junior forward Gloria Douglas crossed the ball to sophomore Kalli Torres, who controlled it and put to the back of the net for her fourth goal of the season.

With so many offensive weapons, the Cavaliers’ offense was able to overcome a 1-0 first-half deficit and defeat the Eagles at home. Virginia recorded 16 shots in the second half, while BC recorded six. The Cavalier’s outshot the Eagles 25-15 in the match. For Virginia, Miller recorded a goal, an assist, and five shots, two of which were on goal, in the second half. McCaffrey had one assist and two shots, for the Eagles in the match. Gaul stopped five shots in the second half, recording a season-high eight saves in the game. DeLisle had three saves in the second half for a total of five in the match.