WOMEN'S SOCCER: Wake Stalls BC Offense

Published: Monday, September 24, 2012

The No. 4 Boston College women’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season on Thursday, losing to the No. 13 Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 2-0, in North Carolina. The Eagles were bested by two goals from Wake Forest junior Katie Stengel, who scored one goal in each half. The loss ended BC’s undefeated start and dropped the team to 1-1 in early season ACC play.

The early minutes of the game saw both teams playing a defensive style game without much flow or offensive chances. The Eagles kept Wake Forest at bay for the first 30 minutes, but were unable to create much for themselves during the same time.

Finally, in the 38th minute, Stengel managed to get by the BC defense and rip a shot from 20 yards out. The ball rocketed past goalie Alexa Gaul and settled into the net near the post. The game opened up significantly after the goal, with both teams finding their offensive prowess and pressuring the defenses. The Eagles ended the first half with eight shots to Wake Forest’s five, but neither team was able to find the back of the net after Stengel did, and the teams went into the half with the Demon Deacons ahead 1-0.

The second half was more of the same for BC, who played well but was unable to crack the Wake Forest defense. At one point, it appeared Stephanie McCaffrey had scored for the Eagles off a great cross from Kristie Mewis, but the goal was immediately called back for being offsides.

In the 68th minute, Stengel once again managed to work her way through the BC defense. She was much closer to the goal this time and again picked her spot right inside the near post.  The goal essentially ended the game for the Eagles. They upped the offensive intensity in the last 20 minutes and had several promising build ups, but the defense of Wake Forest never broke and the Demon Deacons handed BC their first loss of the season.

The Eagles lost despite outshooting Wake Forest by a 14-10 margin. Gaul made three saves for BC while Wake Forest goalie Aubrey Bledsoe stopped all four of the shots on net. The loss dropped the Eagles to 7-1-2 overall on the young season and 1-1-0 to begin ACC play while Wake Forest improved to 8-2-1 overall and 2-1-0 in conference play.