WRC forum focuses on ‘double glass ceiling’

Mosaic promotes discussion about education and the workplace between women of all ethnicities

Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Heights commends the Women’s Resource Center (WRC) for founding the discussion group Mosaic. Mosaic, which is the brainchild of Keun Young Bae, A&S ’13, and Nicole Laniado, CSOM ’13, aims at supporting women of diverse backgrounds through an open-ended forum that meets twice a month.

The WRC has long provided needed and thought-provoking events to the Boston College community, such as Take Back the Night and Love Your Body Week, and Mosaic is no exception. Before Mosaic, there was no organized forum for AHANA women to discuss personal challenges they find in education and the workplace, despite the proverbial “double glass ceiling” these women often face. The Heights believes that Mosaic will be a beneficial support group and a safe space for female students to discuss the challenges they may face when entering “the real world,” and since the participants decide which topics to discuss, we also believe it will help with potential problems in many other areas as well.

We also laud organizers Bae and Laniado for the welcoming environment they have created for Mosaic participants by inviting all students who regard themselves as diverse to attend, even if they are not considered a “minority.” By encouraging a greater portion of the BC population to attend, Bae and Laniado have undoubtedly increased the potential for productive discussion and discourse among different ethnicities and cultures.