Arts

My Five Arts Festival Picks

Artsful Exhibits

One of the best parts of Arts Fest was seeing the facets of the Boston College arts scene that usually fly under the radar. My exposure to visual artwork on the campus had heretofore been limited to cursory glances at the pieces in the basement of Bapst. Thus, standing in the small tent in O’Neill Plaza and gazing at the amazing works that BC students produced was something of a novelty. From digital photography that mixed human bodies and maps, to enormous oil paintings, to an intriguing wire sculpture, the tent was filled with pieces that spoke volumes about BC’s unsung talents.

Evening Of Dance

I’d never seen a dance performance at BC before Arts Fest. I know, I know. ALC Showdown … Phaymus … the Sexual Chocolate big show was even on my birthday. I didn’t make it to a single show this year-and now I know what a fool I’ve been. Even though only a few of BC’s talented groups performed at Saturday’s dance showcase, it was enough to leave me wanting to see more. Fuego was sensual and exuberant to “Danza Kuduro.” The Irish Dance team’s interpretation of “Girls (Run the World)” was powerful, their precision awe-inspiring; and the DOBC’s student-choreographed “Skinny Love” stuck with me all day.

Wind On Broadway

Friday night’s University Wind Ensemble concert consisted exclusively of composer Leonard Bernstein’s music. The room was packed, and with good reason-the concert was pitch-perfect. My favorite part, by far, was the second half, which led with the fantastic saxophone quartet’s rousing rendition of “America” from West Side Story. Also highly enjoyable was the compilation of nine songs from the 1961 musical-when the 40-plus student and guest musicians snapped their way through the Jets’ and Sharks’ confrontation, I couldn’t help but grin.

Symphony Of Fun

The BC Symphony Orchestra is a new favorite of mine. I’d never been to one of their concerts before-probably because, well, most of their concerts are on Newton. I’ll have to start making the trek to Trinity Chapel, though, because their performance on Friday afternoon was fantastic. The highlight, for me, was the third movement of Lalo’s Cello Concerto, with an astoundingly well-done solo by Tina Jung, A&S ’14. Closely following, in terms of enjoyment, was the opportunity to make faces at my violist friend in the second row. That’s the best thing about Arts Fest, I think-seeing the talent that’s been lurking (literally) next door all year.

A ‘Dream’ Of A Night

You just had to be there. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is, in my opinion, the Bard’s most consistently amusing play, but the Robsham production took his work to new heights of whimsicality and slapstick humor. Even the sets were a marvel, perfectly framing and enhancing the even more remarkable action onstage. From the colorful, Bollywood-dancing fairies, to the cameos by ridiculously adorable small children, to the fact that Cam Cronin elicited rounds of applause every single time he appeared, this play was impeccably professional on the outside, pure BC talent at its core.