MCF Celebrates Closing Ceremony

The Multicultural Christian Fellowship (MCF) celebrated its closing ceremony and awards dinner with an outpouring of love, faith, and togetherness last Friday evening.

The night’s theme, “Legacy of Dreamers,” represented the group’s tradition of service and faith and its plans to continue growing in the future.

“The Lord has brought us a mighty long way,” Rev. Howard McClendon said in his opening remarks. “You just keep on. Payday is coming.”

After the group’s seniors were recognized for their achievements and dinner was served, members presented a PowerPoint show that chronicled MCF’s annual service trip and retreat to Jamaica.
Joana Maynard, assistant director of the Office of AHANA Student Programs, then spoke about the strength of the MCF community.

“Sometimes you just have to turn to each other and link arms and walk,” she said. “You’ve had the chance to laugh together, pray together, encourage each other, and to walk daily in the grace of God.”
She encouraged the members, especially the outgoing seniors, to not be afraid or worried about leaving Boston College.

“Go do the stuff you’ve been preparing to do,” she said.

Steven Jefferson, A&S ’14, led the group in song before the second annual faculty award was presented to Rev. Michael Davidson for the work he has done with MCF this year.

“I always say that whenever I go to one of your meetings, I never return the same,” he said.

Kadeem Massiah, BC ’12, presented the final award of the night to Roberson Pierre, A&S ’13 and MCF’s current president.

Massiah focused not on Pierre’s many accomplishments, which include founding MCF’s now-annual Jamaican service trip and the Boston Mass Choir; serving on the boards of the AHANA Leadership Academy and Black History Month Committee; and volunteering at the Evangelical Mount of Olives Baptist Church-but on Pierre’s character.

“You’re the kind of person only God can deal with,” Massiah said. “That’s not a bad thing, but don’t lose it. It is the key to your success.”

Pierre’s sister, Sade, presented him with a painting that represented both the highs and lows he would face in his life, and Ariel Perry, A&S ’14, presented him with a key that represented not only the tools he has helped other people develop, but the opportunities he himself will have in the future.

“God has given you complete key access,” Perry said.

Pierre took the podium next and was silent for several moments before speaking.

“This is not who I saw myself as,” he said.

Pierre thanked his mother, who was sitting at a table with other members of his family, for always pushing him to do more than he thought he could and for continuing to be such a strong and influential presence in his life.
He spoke about the highs and lows of this year, explaining his anger when two large-scale events he had planned had to be canceled and his frustration at not knowing where God was in those moments.

“But God said, ‘Enjoy the process,'” Pierre said. “In everything you do, enjoy the process.”

He concluded by expressing his sincere thanks to every member of the MCF community for their support and fellowship throughout the year.

“No room in Gasson can teach me what you’ve taught me this year,” he said. “Thank you for carrying me when I couldn’t do it myself.

“Trust, love, and don’t be afraid to share your experiences,” he said. “Don’t let the dream die.”