Super Bowl Preparations

With just one Sunday to go, it is time to start planning parties, practicing your Hail Mary spiral, and digging out that old favorite jersey. That’s right, folks, Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner! While the Pats are out of this year’s running (yes, tears were shed in the Barnes household), Seattle and Denver are sure to put on a good game. Denver hasn’t been to the Super Bowl in the last 15 years and Seattle is looking to redeem themselves after their defeat in 2005, so the game promises to be anything but boring. Now, being stuck on campus for the big day can be disappointing, but here are a few tips to make your Super Bowl Sunday party fantastic.

If you’re a freshman-or unfortunate sophomore-stuck in a traditional double, the best bet is the common room, which has probably already been reserved by your RA for viewing purposes. If it hasn’t, check out a projector from O’Neill and hook up your Mac. Watching the game projected against a common room wall will make the big plays seem even bigger and maybe even make up for the fact that suite life is still a year away. Don’t forget speakers, though, as common rooms tend to get rather noisy during games.

If you are hosting a party, there are three important aspects to making sure it’s a success: food, drinks, and entertainment.

While it may seem like the best idea is to outsource food for the big game, BC Dining can actually provide for all your needs. Underclassmen have the upper hand here, but even if you don’t have a meal plan, just invite one of your RA friends and you’re all set. Dining Services have almost anything you could want if you order from their Online Ordering. Everything from appetizers, such as Buffalo wings and veggies, to pizzas and cakes can be ordered-just make sure you do this in advance! Plus, all these goodies can be charged to your dining dollars. If you’re feeling a little adventurous, or have decided to wait until last minute, try filling jugs with soda or buying a few avocados and limes to make homemade guacamole. Using up those meal plans can be hard, especially for the ladies, so here is a great chance to get spending!

If you’re off campus, or don’t have a meal plan and want to look elsewhere for food, my first word of advice is to stock up on Velveeta, because believe it or not, there is currently a shortage. That’s right world, Kraft has confirmed the devastating news this past month and has warned Super Bowl watchers to stock up while you can! On a more serious note, catering around Chestnut Hill can be expensive, but Grubhub.com offers coupons to places that deliver in the area. Roggie’s and Charlie’s Pizza are safe bets as well if you are looking for that typical game-day food. If you are adventurous enough to do some cooking on your own, Pinterest has awesome ideas and recipes that’ll make your dishes creative and delicious. If you’re over 21, drinks are vital, so ditch the Natty and get a little creative. The Touchdown or a beer cocktail will surprise and please your guests.

As for entertaining your guests, start off by watching the puppy bowl. Yes, it’s a thing, and yes, it’s adorable. Puppy Bowl X is scheduled to kick off at 3 p.m. on game day on Animal Planet. The lineup is already on the Discovery Channel’s web site, and while I try not to pick favorites when it comes to adorable dogs, the American Husky Bordy (which is an awfully close name to a certain favorite quarterback of mine) is a fluffball you can’t miss.

If puppies are not your thing, then go outside and toss the pigskin around. While the weather is up in the air, if it isn’t terrible, a game of touch (or, as I prefer, tackle) football will get everyone in a good mood. Have some friends over early and play behind your dorm or head over to Brighton before the game and have your own game in the snow.

Decorations are key and, with 500 pages of printing, I’m sure a few pages can be spared. Decorating your table to look like a field or printing out logos of the Broncos and Seahawks will transform you signature ugly BC walls into an atmosphere that complements the great game ahead.

Whether you’re on BC’s campus or on Foster, the game is going to be great. Since the Pats are out, get on the bandwagon for another team and get the gang together for a great excuse to party on a Sunday. Most importantly, go Seahawks!

Editor’s Note: The views presented in this column are those of the author alone and do not represent the views of The Heights.