Sports

ROUNDUP: Women’s Tennis Registers Two Wins On Weekend To Remain Undefeated

On Saturday, the Boston College women’s tennis team competed in two matches against the University of Albany and Georgetown, emerging victorious from both to improve to 4-0 in the young season.

Lexi Borr, Jessica Wacnik, and Katya Vasilyev all won their singles matches against Albany, Borr playing in the first spot, Wacnik in the second, and Vasilyev in the third. Their individual performances were backed up by a couple of doubles wins by the No. 2 and No. 3 pairs. Those wins were enough to clinch a win, but the Eagles had a buffer with singles wins from Heini Salomen, Emily Safron, and Sarah Dalton.

That afternoon in the Georgetown match, all three BC doubles teams topped the Hoyas, and the top three singles matches, as well as the fifth, went in the Eagles’ favor to clinch the second win of the day.

The men’s tennis team was also in action on Saturday with matches against the University of Hartford and Southern New Hampshire University. Both matches were successful for the Eagles as they shut out both teams, neither opponent managing to take a single win on the day.

In Providence on the same day, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were taking on the Friars. Once again, both sides came out with the win, the men finishing off Providence by a score of 164.5-116.5 and the women putting the Friars away 170-99.

Top performers for the Eagles included the men’s 200-meter medley team of Andrew Stranick, Daniel Kelly, Josh William, and Sean Murphy, who won their event. Kelly also finished first in the 50-meter freestyle and 100 meter freestyle. Murphy and Stranick went first and second in the 100-meter breaststroke to complement their relay win.

On the women’s side, Kathryn Oskar took a first place finish in 1 meter diving, and Maddi Mailliard took first place in the 200-meter backstroke, 200-meter backstroke, and the 200-meter freestyle relay alongside teammates Gracie Kunkel, Emily Downs, and Maureen Barron.

The women’s track team rounded out a busy day of BC athletics at the Harvard Invitational. Molly O’Dea took third in the 400-meter dash, followed by Christina Zelenoy and Jacqueline Hannon in 10th and 11th, and Ashlynn Fields and Camila Isern in 13th and 14th. In the 800 meter run, Claudia DiSomma took fourth place, and Jordan Kristin had a top ten finish, coming in ninth. Carly Daniel was the only top-10 finisher for the Eagles in the 200-meter dash, and she finished in sixth place with a time of 25.78. The 4×400 yard relay team came in third place.