Sports, Winter

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Boudreau’s 25 fall short at Clemson

Returning from a four-game delay due to concussion symptoms, senior forward Kristen Doherty was back in the starting lineup for the Boston College women’s basketball team on Thursday in hopes of bringing some much-needed energy to the Eagles as they looked to break their three-game losing streak.

A career-high 25 points from Nicole Boudreau was not enough, as the Clemson Tigers were able to get the home win by a score of 72-67.
Despite an entertaining performance from both teams, this ACC matchup featured two struggling teams in the conference with Boston College seating in 14th place, Clemson in 12th.

This was the 11th meeting between Boston College and Clemson, and BC is winning the series with a 7-4 edge.
BC shot 46 percent from the floor and 67 percent from the 3-point line, but it was the 17 turnovers that hurt the most. Clemson scored 20 points off turnovers.

Clemson and BC were both supporting the PLAY4KAY campaign by sporting their pink colored jerseys. The Eagles have supported former BC guard Clare Droesch ’05, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

The Tigers were able to score early by creating a 7-2 run at the 17-minute mark, but shortly after, the Eagles brought the score back level after a 3-point shot from Boudreau produced a one-point lead making the score 8-7.

The Eagles used their most lethal threat, shooting from outside the arc, to gain a 25-14 lead over the Tigers. Clemson didn’t let this lead last for long before the half ended, though, as a strong effort by the Tiger offense had the Eagles trailing by five.

At the half, the score was BC, 36, Clemson, 41.

The second half started with baskets from both teams, and at nine minutes, the score was BC 45, Clemson, 50.

The Eagles had a chance to tie the game on two fast breaks but were spoiled.

Two jumpers by Zenevitch cut the lead to three points with less than two minutes to play. After a jump ball, Clemson had possession and was fouled. Dixon hit one shot, making the score BC 61, Clemson 65.

In the end, the BC women’s basketball team was unable to come back and left South Carolina with the loss.

University of Maryland will square off against the Eagles in Conte Forum on Thursday at 7 p.m. for the last home game of the women’s basketball 2013-14 regular season. It will be the final home game for seniors Kristen Doherty and Katie Zenevitch.