Sports, Spring, Baseball

BC Shut Out By FSU To Open Weekend Series

Boston College baseball hosted Florida State at its latest home, Bill Beck Field in Kingston, R.I., for a double header Friday and dropped the first bill 6-0. The Seminole offense steadily padded the scoreboard, but starting pitcher Luke Weaver didn’t need most of the support. Weaver granted the BC offense just one hit and two walks and struck out four in a complete game shutout.

“It’s something I have always strived for,” Weaver said regarding his first complete game. “It was one of those games where I’m not going to strike a lot of people out, it’s tough conditions, it’s cold, it’s windy, and I just had to battle the whole game … I was throwing the off speed for strikes and getting them to chase that as well. I was really trying to control myself out there today and not let the factors get the better of me.”

BC starter John Gorman worked around a leadoff walk in the first inning after catcher Nick Sciortino hosed down Florida State right fielder Josh Delph at second base, but he got touched up for two runs on two hits in the top of the second and third innings.

Gorman left after the third, allowing four hits, walks, and strikeouts on the outing.

“We got some key hits early on, and that was no question a big part of the game,” said Florida State head coach Mike Martin. “To get a couple runs in the second and third off Gorman was big. He is one of their best pitchers. On days like today, you got to take advantage of every opportunity, and we did that today.”

Eagles relievers Mike King, Nick Poore, and Tyler Hincheliffe stemmed the Seminole tide for the balance of the game, giving up just two hits and one walk along with two runs. King replaced Gorman and sat down the first six batters he faced, before Florida State cleanup hitter John Nogowski hit a double to lead off the seventh. Nogowski later scored on a leadoff double that pushed the score to 5-0.

King finished the frame and Poore took over in the seventh, and he, too, retired the first (and only) six batters he faced in clean seventh and eighth inning showings while punching out Delph looking and Nogowski swinging. Hinchcliffe mopped up the ninth and struck out Jose Brizuela before allowing a hit and walk that led to Florida State plating the final run

The BC offense kept up its ways throughout the game, offering zero support or hope for its bullpen. Eagles’ right fielder Chris Shaw managed a single in the seventh after Tom Bourdon’s two-out walk, but shortstop Joe Cronin ended the faint (and only) threat when Weaver struck him out swinging on three pitches. The two runners that Cronin stranded were the only two Weaver left on base the entire game. Weaver didn’t allow another hitter to reach base after that, and he struck out Blake Butera to end the first half of the twin bill in the ninth.
“A great performance by Luke Weaver,” Martin said. “He went out there and was very professional in his approach. It was a good win for this baseball team.”