Sports, Spring, Softball

SOFTBALL: BC Takes Three Of Four From BU

The Boston College softball team emerged with three wins over a four-day stretch, in which it played four games that started on Thursday, April 3 with a visit from Comm. Ave. rival, Boston University.

The Eagles comfortably defeated the Terriers 8-0 in a game starred by sophomore Jessie Daulton, who had five RBIs, including a two-run home run. In the first inning, Daulton sent a double to far right center, which let three players score. Then, she was sent to home plate when Alana Dimaso hit a home run, making the score 5-0 at the end of the first inning. Following another run in the sixth inning, Daulton sent a ball far into left field to finish the game off at 8-0.

After one day of rest, the team played a three-game series against visiting University of Pittsburgh. The Eagles proved victorious in both Saturday games, winning 5-3 and 13-4, but ended up with a 0-2 loss on Sunday.

Nicole D’Argento, after pitching seven innings against BU, started in every game against Pitt. She pitched a total of 26.2 innings over the four-day period, racking up 23 strikeouts.

“Throughout the entire year, she has clearly been our go-to pitcher,” said head coach Ashley Obrest. “She has got a lot of heart out on the mound and has thrown a ton of innings … She sets the tone with her pitching-we kind of all feed off of her.”

In the first game against Pitt, the Eagles offense racked up four runs in the fourth inning to take a sizeable lead. Having already gone up 1-0, two walks from Panthers pitcher Savannah King gave the Eagles a 3-0 lead. Then, freshman Tatiana Cortez singled to center field, earning two RBIs in the process. Pitt fought back toward the end, as a two-run homer in the sixth and another run in the seventh saw out the game at 5-3.

The second game on Saturday was highlighted by a sixth inning that featured 11 BC runs. Pitt was leading BC 4-2 when the sixth inning started, but pitchers Alexa Larkin and Lauren Vinson gave up 10 hits and 11 runs. Cortez hit the game-winning single, which gathered two RBI, and the game ended on a mercy rule.

Despite letting up 11 runs in the second game of the series, Larkin started the third game, with starkly different results. Larkin pitched three innings on Sunday and only allowed two hits. Larkin was replaced by King, who only allowed one hit in four innings. Taylor Coroneos, Annie Sommers, and D’Argento were the only Eagles to manage a hit on the day.

Pitt scored off of a Carly Thea solo homerun in the second inning in addition to a Ashlee Sills run home, and she was helped by a pair of errors from Eagles second baseman Madi Paulson.

The week boosted the Eagles to an 18-16, 4-8 ACC record, while the Panthers trail closely behind BC in the ACC standings with a 13-17, 4-7 ACC record.