Opinions, Editorials

Festival Showcases Best Of BC Student Arts Scene

The Boston College Arts Council will host its 16th Annual Arts Festival this weekend. The three-day event will bring a collection of BC acts to various locations around campus, with the festival’s happenings centered in a tent set up on the O’Neill Plaza. Arts Fest 2014 will be headlined by Anne Garefino, executive producer of South Park and Book of Mormon and BC ’81. Garefino will be honored with the Arts Council Alumni Award.

The theatre department is staging a production of The Drowsy Chaperone on the Robsham Main Stage, another centerpiece of this year’s lineup. In the O’Neill Plaza tent, the Battle of the Bands and Singer-Songwriter competition will be held Thursday night, BC Underground Friday, and Dancing with bOp! Saturday.

Arts Fest 2014 follows the successful formula created for the festival last year, and while not much changed in structure, nothing especially needed fixing. Arts Fest is an excellent opportunity for students to view BC’s musical acts in a convenient, centralized setting, with most events free of charge. The University should stay committed to keeping the Arts Fest tradition healthy in the years to come and continue providing the financing necessary for Arts Council to accommodate the festival’s diverse offerings.