Sports, Spring, Baseball

Eagles Open Series With Win

After two consecutive losses to Northeastern and St. John’s, Boston College baseball arrived at the diamond ready to take a win against Maryland. Also a member of the ACC, Maryland’s 9-12 conference record displayed more favorably compared to the Eagles’ 6-16. This did not stop BC from earning seven hits for five runs in the 5-1 victory over the Terrapins.

Led by sophomore right fielder Chris Shaw, the Eagles took an early lead over Maryland, scoring four runs in just the first inning. After Gabriel Hernandez reached on a hit-by-pitch, shortstop Joe Cronin doubled to left-center field to get things going.

With two men on base, the hard-hitting Shaw smacked a three-run home run, increasing his hitting streak to eight games. The Eagles scored yet another run on a wild pitch, bringing in Michael Strem for the fourth run of the inning.

Pitcher John Gorman took the mound in the top of the second with a comfortable 4-0 lead. Maryland went three-and-out after giving up four runs to the Eagles. Terrapins’ pitcher Jake Stinnett continued to struggle in the bottom of the second. After walking the first man, Hernandez, Stinnett nailed Cronin in the head with a high pitch. Nevertheless, the Eagles could not use these extra bases to their advantage, and they left the inning with two men stranded. This inability to work the bases was a pattern for the Eagles-with the exception of two brilliant homers, BC failed to advance many of its runners.

Both teams went three-and-out in the third inning. Gorman walked two men in the fourth inning, and with a fielder’s choice to first base, these two advanced to second and third base, setting them up in scoring position. With two outs, Maryland batter Jose Cuas reached first base on a dropped third strike, allowing a runner from third to score. This was the first and final run scored for the Terrapins.

The Eagles responded fruitlessly in the bottom of the fourth as Hernandez had a clean line drive single up the middle. He managed to reach second on a ground-out, followed by third base on a wild pitch, but he was stranded on base with the close of the inning.

Maryland came close to making a comeback in the fifth inning, starting off with a walk and then a single by Anthony Papio. The next batter succeeded in advancing runners to second and third base with a sac bunt, but the inning ended with a fielder’s choice tagging out the scoring runner at home and Gorman striking out the final batter, preventing the Eagles from giving up any more runs.

Shaw and his hot bat struck again in the bottom of the fifth as he hit a long double to right field. As the story seemed to go all day, though, the Eagles could not advance him further-three consecutive strikeouts ended the inning with Shaw stranded on second.

BC allowed a man to steal second after walking in the top of the sixth, ending Gorman’s job for the day. Righty pitcher Mike King came in to close the game for the Eagles.

In the bottom of the sixth, Hernandez continued his busy day at the plate with a single up the middle-he later stole second with ease. Once again, BC ended the inning with one man stranded on base and no new runs on the board. Maryland’s offense was less impressive, as it went three-and-out again against King.

Maryland put left-handed pitcher Tayler Stiles on the mound, and Cronin greeted him with a home run to left-center field. This was Cronin’s first home run of the season, putting the Eagles up 5-1.

King allowed one hit in the top of the eighth inning, but this was followed by a double play to end the inning scoreless for Maryland. Maryland failed to come back in its next attempt at the plate despite a hard ground ball single up the middle and fielding error by BC. The game ended with a textbook double play by the Eagles, resulting in a 5-1 victory over Maryland and a save for King.

The Eagles finished the game with seven hits, five runs, two home runs, and only one error-they could confidently enter game two of the doubleheader with a solid win under their belt.