Sports, Fall

Women’s Golf And Tennis Compete In Weekend Tournaments

The Boston College women’s golf team showcased its talent at the Hanover Country Club last weekend for the Dartmouth Invitational, where it placed second of 13 teams.

The team was outshot only by Boston University, which had a superb first day of the two-day tournament.

Senior Christina McQuinston led the team with a 74 on the first day and a 73 on the second, putting her at second overall for the weekend. Freshman Katelyn Reynolds tied for 12th while Jocelyn Chia and Katia Joo tied for 23rd and 27th, respectively.

The Eagles were consistent through two days, shooting 308 combined the first day and 305 the second, putting them 37 strokes over par with a 4-stroke lead over third place Dartmouth College.

BC’s newest pair of tennis players showcased their talent at the Brown Invitational, where junior Wan-Yi Sweeting and freshman Assiya Dair saw action.

In singles play, Sweeting was bested by Brown’s Nikita Uberoi on Friday, and by Boston University’s Barbara Rodriguez the next day. Sweeting ended her weekend 0-2 in singles play.

Dair found more success at singles, ending the tournament 2-1, including a 6-4, 6-4 win over Brown’s Alyza Benotto, who was ranked in the top 10 of her recruiting class last year.

Sweeting and Dair moved on to doubles after their respective losses. They finished both days of doubles play with one win and one loss, putting their record on the weekend at 2-2.

Despite difficult match-ups, BC’s women’s tennis found some success in an otherwise challenging tournament.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Graphic