Sports, Fall

Sailing, Women’s Tennis Have Mixed Weekends

The women’s tennis team travelled to New Jersey for the Princeton Invitational over the weekend.

In the first day of play on Friday, Katya Vasilyev defeated Katrine Steffensen of Princeton, 7-5, 7-2.

The junior partnered with Emily Safron for a doubles match that came about later in the day, in which the pair beat Emily Hahn and Dorothy Tang of Princeton 8-2.

Vasilyev’s only defeat of the day came when the junior lost to Kana Daniel of Penn in a single match, 7-5, 6-1. Safron beat Daniel’s teammate Sonya Latycheva, 7-5, 6-7 (1), (10-7).

On Saturday, Safron was defeated by Rima Asatrian of Columbia 6-1, 6-2.

Erika Reineke won the NEISA Women’s Singlehanded Championship on Sunday, totaling a mere 14 points to beat out Dana Rhode of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

The junior sailor won the conference championship regatta on Long Island Sound under conditions of 18-22 knots. As a team, the Eagles finished in fifth place at the Danmark Trophy interconference regatta over the weekend. Yale won the meet, as Vermont and College of Charleston edged BC from a top-three finish. The Eagles also failed to place at the Hewitt Trophy in-conference regatta, as Yale, Rhode Island, and Boston University all finished ahead of BC. The Eagles did win the George Warren Smith Trophy, though, beating out MIT and Tufts for the victory.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Graphic