Arts, Music, On Campus, Off Campus, Featured Story

This Weekend In Arts: My Mother’s Fleabag, Boston Book Festival, And More

‘A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum’

(Through Sunday 10/26)

A funny thing is happening in Robsham this weekend—the Boston College theatre department’s new musical. The play blends ancient Roman comedy with classic vaudeville themes and tells a hilarious story of star-crossed love. The show is running Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Student tickets are $10.

BC bOp!

(Friday 10/24, 8 p.m.)

Join BC bOp! for a night of singing, music, and all that jazz in the Vanderslice Caberet Room on Friday. The group will be performing selections from Basie, Buddy Rich, and Earth, Wind, & Fire. The concert is free.

Boston Book Festival

(Thursday 10/23 to Saturday 10/25)

The sixth edition of the Boston Book Festival is coming to Copley Square, featuring writing workshops, literary lectures, and keynote speakers Herbie Hancock and Susan Minot. Most events are free and not ticketed. For a complete schedule, see bostonbookfest.org.

Carnival of Curiosities

(Sunday 10/26, 1 p.m.)

The SoWa Open Market is freaking out about its “circus freaks”-themed Halloween costume contest open to vendors and customers on Sunday. See newenglandopenmarkets.com for competition rules and details on prizes and registration.

Illuminus Festival

(Through Sunday 11/2)

Brighten up your Saturday night with the Illuminus Festival in the South End, which will reimagine the city in the dark and feature large-scale projection and light installations from over 30 regional artists. A smaller version of the event took place earlier this month at the Lawn on D. For more information, visit illuminusboston.org.

Jason Derulo Concert

(Friday 10/24, 7:30 p.m.)

Jason Derulo won’t be ridin’ solo at the Orpheum Theatre on Friday—Becky G and Wallpaper will be joining the “Talk Dirty To Me” singer for his Boston concert. Tickets are $43.20 through Ticketmaster.

My Mother’s Fleabag Fall Cafe

(Friday 10/24, 7 p.m.)

Get ready to howl with laughter for My Mother’s Fleabag’s Fall Cafe, “Werewolf Bar Mitzvah.” The BC improv group is hosting its free show in Gasson 305 rather than in the O’Connell House. Arrive early, as seating is limited.

Featured Image by John Wiley / Heights Graphic Illustration

Ariana Igneri was the Associate Arts & Review editor at The Heights in 2014, where she enjoyed writing about boy bands, ballet, and other finer things. Follow her on Twitter at @arianaigneri.