Metro, Boston

Former Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino Passed Away This Morning

Former mayor Thomas M. Menino, who was the leader of Boston for longer than some Boston College students have been alive, died this morning at the age of 71.

Menino was diagnosed with advanced cancer shortly after his mayoral tenure came to a close, and he announced a week ago that he would bring his cancer treatments to an end and seek palliative care.

During his time as mayor, Menino was known for his focus on neighborhood improvement, earning him a reputation as an urban mechanic. Recognized also for his support of the GLBTQ community and minorities, Menino helped bring Boston into the 21st century not only by integrating formerly marginalized populations, but also by helping to facilitate the construction of large swaths of Boston’s current cityscape.

BC students may be most familiar with Menino through his involvement in the response to the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon.

“We are one Boston,” he said at an interfaith prayer service following the tragedy. “No adversity, no challenge, nothing can tear down the resilience in the heart of this city and its people.”

Featured Image – AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File

Ryan Towey was the Metro Editor for The Heights in 2014. If he's no longer covering Greater Boston, he probably moved back to New Jersey for some bizarre reason. Either way, you can still follow him on Twitter @Ryan_towey.