Sports, Women's Basketball

Women’s Basketball Splits Weekend West Coast Swing

The Boston College women’s basketball team had an up and down weekend to kick off the 2014-15 season, falling to Stanford on Friday but rebounding nicely by defeating St. Mary’s two days later. The Eagles began their season with a road trip and a matchup with the No. 6 Stanford. After playing them close for much of the first half, the Cardinals’ Lili Thompson & Co. eventually proved too much for the Eagles to handle, as they were stifled for the remainder of the game. Thompson scored a career-high 26 points and led her team to a 96-63 victory.

Emilee Dailey was a bright spot for BC, contributing a team-high 13 points in the losing effort. The stat sheet clearly reflected the outcome, as Stanford shot a blistering 64.9 percent from the field, including 53.8 percent from 3-point range.

BC bounced back on Sunday with an 82-72 win over St. Mary’s. The Eagles’ crisp passing and excellent ball movement led to a barrage of open 3-pointers. The opening 10 minutes of the game clearly displayed a contrast in style of play, as the Gaels used their dribble penetration to get points in the paint, while the Eagles whipped the ball around the perimeter in pursuit of clean outside looks. Both sides traded baskets throughout the first half, which ended with a three-point St. Mary’s advantage.

The second half followed the same pattern, until BC rattled off a 10-0 run with about four minutes remaining. Guard Ashley Kelsick began the onslaught with a breakaway steal and layup to cut the Gaels’ lead to two. Junior guard and BC captain Nicole Boudreau gave the Eagles their first lead of the second half a couple plays later with a 3-pointer. BC maintained its advantage as the Gaels fought and clawed their way to points in the few remaining minutes, but were finally put away by Kelly Hughes’ dagger three with only 45 seconds remaining.

With solid composure and stout defense, the Eagles extended their lead to 10 as the final horn sounded. BC looks to build on Sunday’s victory in its home opener against Boston University this Thursday.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Editor