Sports, Fall

Roundup: Liv Westphal Leads BC At NCAAs

This weekend, the Boston College women’s cross country team participated in the NCAA Championship meet in Terre Haute, Ind. The visit was the Eagles’ first to the championship since 2012, and they surpassed expectations. Led by Liv Westphal, who earned All-American honors, BC finished the day with a 21st place finish, nine spots above their pre-race ranking of 30th overall, out of a field of 31 teams.

Six Eagles made their NCAA Championship debut, with Danielle Winslow, Laura Hottenrott, Madeleine Davidson, Brittany Winslow, Ashbrook Gwinn, and Megan Young each running for BC, along with the veteran Westphal.

Westphal paced the Eagles, putting up a time of 20:37.4 on the 6-kilometer course. Her finish was good enough for 30th place overall out of a field of 255 runners and All-American status for a second year in a row to put a cap on her season, which included a first-place finish in the ACC cross country championship.

Danielle Winslow was the next Eagle to cross the finish line in 85th place. She was followed by Hottenrott in 120th, Davidson in 201st, Winslow in 211th, Gwinn in 22th, and Young in 236th.

Michigan State won the National Championship, followed by Iowa State and New Mexico.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Editor