Kanye West Reveals ‘FourFiveSeconds,’ And More Singles This Week

Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney, “FourFiveSeconds”

Recorded by an unlikely trio—two of today’s R&B favorites  and a ’60s rock legend—“FourFiveSeconds” is a refreshing single with a surprising sound. With an acoustic piece featuring McCartney on guitar, the song boasts a light and carefree air that is drastically different from the explicit content expected from a West and Rihanna collaboration. Although it’s a shame McCartney didn’t lend his voice to the track, the finished product is a well-crafted and mellow masterpiece.

Ellie Goulding, “Love Me Like You Do”

3 Stars

Goulding’s newest single—a track from the highly anticipated upcoming film Fifty Shades of Grey—is a lackluster love song with a repetition and poppy beat that deviates from the British singer’s usual style. Though it still contains several great elements of Goulding’s signature sound—namely her floating vocals and distinct accent—“Love Me Like You Do” is, unfortunately, nothing extraordinary.

Modest Mouse, “The Best Room”

3 Stars

Modest Mouse has been just that over the past five years–modest. They haven’t released a major record since 2009. But these forefathers to The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, and Arcade Fire, have released three singles over the past year and a half. Their most recent “The Best Room” is fairly basic–a mess that’s not really engaging lyrically or in composition, but it’s soothing in its own simple way. 

Featured Image Courtesy of GOOD Music