Sports, Top Story, Women's Basketball

Two Suspended, One Removed From Women’s Basketball Team

The Boston College women’s basketball team was down three players going up against No. 4 Notre Dame on Sunday. Lauren Engeln, a graduate transfer from UConn, has been removed from the official roster for a violation of team rules, according to BC Athletics. Junior Nicole Boudreau and redshirt junior Kat Cooper were both suspended for only the game against Notre Dame, also in violation of team rules. Redshirt junior Karima Gabriel, who was suspended with the same infraction for Thursday’s game against Clemson, returned today and played against the Fighting Irish.

BC Athletics did not publicly disclose which rules any of the three players violated.

“We had to dole out a couple of suspensions this week for violations of team rules—some great kids, just tough lessons that need to be learned when you’re young,” head coach Erik Johnson said.

Johnson amounted similar praise on recently dismissed Engeln, but attributed her departure to clashing values.

“Lauren (Engeln) is no longer with the team,” Johnson said. “But, again, a great young woman—just sometimes, the fit and philosophies don’t mesh. It’s the hard part about coaching and we miss her.”

On Feb. 4, Engeln tweeted: “We all make mistakes, it’s how we deal with those errors in judgment and take steps to rectify the situation that shows our true character.”

Coach Johnson said that the short bench was not a major factor in the team’s 89-56 loss to Notre Dame.

Engeln averaged 11.6 minutes and 2.1 points per game. Cooper averages 15 minutes and 5.2 per game. Boudreau, one of the team’s stars and the team captain, is tied for the team lead in minutes with 33.1 per game, second on the team with points with 12.2, and averages 4.7 rebounds per game.

Sports Editor Michael Sullivan contributed to this article. 

Featured Image by Arthur Bailin / Heights Editor