CSOM Senior Noted in Wall Street Journal As ‘Latest Success Story’
News, Off Campus

Erin Kelley, CSOM ’15, was profiled in the Wall Street Journal as a successful member of Bottom Line, an organization that counsels disadvantaged youth on how to earn a college degree. Kelley, a first-generation college student, grew up in Chelsea, Mass., and had not thought of applying to BC until a Bottom Line Counselor encouraged her to, she said to the Wall Street Journal.

Approximately 11 percent of Americans who grew up poor and whose parents do not have a college education earn a college degree. Approximately 80 percent of participants in Bottom Line, a non-profit, earn degrees. The program is Boston-based, but also advises students in New York City and Chicago.

“I would not be where I am if it were not for Bottom Line,” she said to the Wall Street Journal. “I would not have even looked at the application. When you come from communities like Chelsea, Mass., and you have parents who never went to college, they understand it’s important. But they don’t know what’s out there, so you don’t know what’s out there.”

Featured Image by Margaux Eckert / Heights Staff