BC Theology Professor Named To Chair In The Library Of Congress

Rev. David Hollenbach, S.J., a professor at Boston College in Theological Ethics, has been named to the Cary and Ann Maguire Chair in Ethics and American History at the Library of Congress’ John W. Kluge Center.

This position will last five months, and the primary goal of the Chair is to research American history with particular attention to ethics in politics, economics, and social policies. At the end of the tenure, the Chair will give a presentation on his findings.

Hollenbach plans on continuing research for his book entitled Humanity in Crisis: Religious and Ethical Responses to War and Disaster. The book explores the ways in which faith plays a role in responding to humanitarian crises.

Before working at BC, Hollenbach was at the Weston School of Theology, which is now part of BC’s School of Theology and Ministry. He came to BC in 1991, when he was offered a chair in the theology department.
Now, Hollenbach directs the Center for Human Rights and International Justice at BC along with Daniel Kanstroom and Brinton Lykes.

“The Center puts the Catholic common good tradition into conversation with scholars, professionals and activists from many disciplines and many global contexts,” theology professor Lisa Cahill said. “It is a stellar example of the Jesuit mission of Boston College.”

Featured Image Courtesy of the BC Chronicle