Boston’s Bid For 2024 Olympic Games Shut Down By Olympic Committee
Metro, Top Story

Boston’s bid for the 2024 Olympic Games has been killed, the Boston Globe reported Monday afternoon. According to the Globe report, the United States Olympic Committee and officials from Boston 2024 mutually agreed to withdraw the city’s bid.

This decision came a few hours after Mayor Martin J. Walsh, WCAS ’09, announced that he is not ready to sign an Olympic bid contract that would burden Boston taxpayers with extra costs of the Games.

The city’s bid had been plagued with controversy from citizens. Recently, several members of the community voiced concerns at a meeting about the revamped bid held in Robsham Theater. The dissent included concerns about the financial risk of the Games, with one audience member comparing the construction need for the Games to the Big Dig.

“I refuse to mortgage the future of the city away,” Walsh said at a conference at City Hall Monday. “This is a commitment that I can’t make without ensuring the city and its residents will be protected.”

Featured Image by Winslow Townson / AP Photo

July 27, 2015