Fall

Meehan, Eagles Earn Split Of Road Tilt With Win Over Pacific

Buoyed by junior McKenzie Meehan’s hat trick, Boston College women’s soccer (3-1-0) toppled the University of the Pacific (1-3-0) 6-0 at Knoles Field in Stockton, Calif. on Sunday. Head coach Alison Foley said after the game that the shellacking that BC put on the Boxers came at a good time for the Eagles, as they suffered their first defeat of the season on Friday after having to play with 10 players for much of Friday’s match.

“I thought we had a great start Friday night against Stanford, and it was unfortunate to have to play a man down,” Foley told BCEagles.com following the victory. “It forced us to play a different system. I thought our girls responded really well today with a convincing 6-0 win. More importantly it gave us the ability to work out of our system fully-loaded.”

Meehan opened the one-sided scoring at 16:59, burying a feed from Lauren Berman past Pacific goalkeeper Regan Heslop for what would be the eventual game-winner and Meehan’s second of the year. It would be the only goal of the first half, and the only assisted score of the game for the Eagles. Despite the indications on the scoreboard, BC dominated play in the first half, posting 13 shots in contrast to the five from the Boxers.

The Eagles converted better on fewer chances in the second frame, putting up 11 shots on net in the final five minutes. Hayley Dowd started the scoring brigade with a goal at 50:20, and less than three minutes later Meehan added another with a penalty kick. The junior completed her second career hat trick 12 minutes and two seconds later by beating Heslop to the far post.

BC poured it on late, too. Rosie DiMartino lobbed one past the keeper from 23 yards out with 11 minutes to go, and Carly Leipzig scored another in the last minute of normal time. The tally was the first of Leipzig’s collegiate career. With a win on Sunday, BC earned a split of its West Coast swing, and will now head back east with some on-field chemistry and the confidence that accompanies it.

Featured Image by Graham Beck / Heights Senior Staff