Fall, Featured Story

No. 10 Eagles Break BU’s Hearts In Overtime

Entering the contest at New Balance Field this past Friday, No. 10 Boston College and No. 19 Boston University field hockey had their all-time series record tied: 17-17-4. But after the conclusion of that climactic match, the Eagles had seized a one-game lead over their crosstown rivals, winning 2-1 in overtime.

“Credit to BU for putting us on our heels from the start of the game,” BC head coach Kelly Doton said. “But our girls were persistent and pushed through some missed traps and poor decision-making to get the win.”

As Doton noted, the match was highly contested from the beginning. Both the BC and BU squads quickly moved the ball close to one another’s goals, posing plenty of challenges to the backs. In addition, both sides succeeded in causing upfield pressure, leading to additional offensive chances.

BU scored the first goal of the match, taking a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute. Assisted by junior back Bea Baumberger Altirriba, junior forward Madeline McClain netted the goal, swatting a shot beneath the pads of BC goalkeeper Leah Settipane. The score was McClain’s second in as many games.

BC responded with a goal of its own in 10 minutes later, tying the game 1-1. Receiving a pass from freshman midfielder Frederique Haverhals, who took the corner for BC, junior midfielder Emily McCoy sent the ball hurtling past BU netminder Cammy Jensen with a powerful swing from the top of the striking circle.

While the first 45 minutes ended in a tie, BU came close to taking the lead. Late in the first half, a shot ricocheted into BC’s net, causing the BU players to raucously celebrate. But the goal was called back in the ensuing seconds, leaving the 1-1 standstill.

The score stayed locked at 1-1 throughout the second half, despite the BC and BU squads’ best efforts. Though both teams mounted steady attacks, with each having opportunities to gain an edge, great goalkeeping kept the score level. Over the course of the half, Settipane and Jensen made a combined eight saves—the BC goalkeeper collected three, and her BU counterpart collected five.

With the score tied 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes, the contest entered sudden-death overtime. Sensing the gravity of the situation, BC worked to end the game quickly and efficiently. The Eagles moved the ball upfield, and, after receiving a crafty pass from freshman midfielder Ymke Rose Gote, McCoy neatly flicked a shot past Jensen’s right leg, winning the game for BC a mere three minutes into overtime.

The Eagles now stand 4-1 on the season. The Terriers, on the other hand, now have a 3-2 record.

“The in-season game versus BU is always the same,” Doton said. “A hard-fought battle by both teams, and tonight was no different.”

Featured Image by Daniella Fasciano / Heights Editor