Fall, Volleyball

Volleyball Drops Three In A Row

On Wednesday, Boston College volleyball looked to break a three-match losing streak against the Syracuse University Orange.

Starting strong has been a problem this season for BC, and it wasn’t a problem the Eagles would fix against the Orange. Despite holding a lead midway through the first set, Syracuse won the first game 25-21 behind the team’s 7.5 blocks. Nicolette Serratore led the way for the Orange with six kills in the first set.

It might have been the earlier start time of 5 p.m., but the Eagles looked sluggish and struggled to match the energy level of the Orange. BC was dominated in the second set, falling to Syracuse by a score of 25-15.

The third set was much of the same. Syracuse took an early lead, withstood a BC charge midway through the set, and rallied at the end to close the match out. The Orange took the third and final set, completing the sweep with a 25-16 victory.

Three days earlier, BC took on Pittsburgh University in a Columbus Day matinee. With the 13-4 Panthers coming to town, the Eagles didn’t get a break. Pitt outmuscled BC all afternoon, taking the Eagles down in three straight sets for a clean sweep.

Pitt jumped out to an early lead in each of the three sets, usually causing Campbell to burn a timeout in order to reset his team. The Eagles would generally settle down after the first 10 points had been scored, but it was often too little, too late.

“The way we started three consecutive sets is not the way we wanted to open play,” Campbell said. “We have to do a better job of being ready to play right from the start.”

Workman finished with 17 kills against the Panthers, leading the way for the Eagles. The Pittsburgh trio of Amanda Orchard, Kadi Kullerkann, and Mariah Bell combined for a total of 35 kills.

Two days prior, the Eagles took on Virginia Tech in a location that was simultaneously familiar but very new. Rather than playing in Power Gym, BC set up shop on the floor at Conte Forum just across the hall.

The location change added an extra boost of excitement for the team and for the fans, as a few more spectators took in the game more than usual.

“Conte actually sets up really well for volleyball, so it’s a great atmosphere,” Campbell said. “There was a little extra motivation for the girls tonight.”

The players brought some extra energy into the game and it showed in their hustle, but hustle alone was not enough to deter the Hokies. Virginia Tech took three straight sets from the Eagles in yet another sweep on BC’s home floor.

The first two sets against VT were neck-and-neck the entire way, but the Hokies finished stronger to claim each of the sets. The third and final set was not as close, as the first two hard-fought sets wore the Eagles down.

Workman once again led the Eagles with 13 kills. In just about the only thing to celebrate over the past three games, she was honored before the game against Virginia Tech for setting BC’s all-time record for kills.

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor