All Grown Up: Bieber Finds His ‘Purpose’

It’s been a good while since Justin Bieber has been on the public radar for any reason other than scandal. In fact, many believed that he “peaked” right after skyrocketing to fame as a preteen. Now the 21 year old has returned with a vengeance, dominating radio play and receiving unparalleled media attention. With the release of Purpose, it’s impossible to deny one fact—Bieber fever is back.

Bieber’s latest album starts with “Mark My Words,” a short, moving track with a Timberlake-esque vocal riff that will surely be stuck in every listener’s head for days. Following suit is “I’ll Show You,” the album’s latest promotional single. In light of the various scandals Bieber has been involved in (and often caused) over the past few years, the lyrics are more meaningful than any in Purpose’s love songs. The popstar croons, “Sometimes it’s hard to do the right thing / When the pressure’s coming down like lightning / It’s like they want me to be perfect / When they don’t even know that I’m hurting”—presumably as an explanation for his less-than-exemplary behavior. The song is an open critique of the pedestal that celebrities are placed on in the public eye, and how difficult it can be for a normal human to live up to those expectations. But however hard, Bieber has promised to clean up his act, something he has yet to really “show” us.

The next track on the album is the No. 1 single “What Do You Mean?” The bubbly end-of-summer hit provides a nice change of pace—while the remorseful, mature Bieber of “Mark My Words” and “I’ll Show You” is inarguably impressive, this pump-up album needed a playful dance jam. “What Do You Mean?” is followed immediately by “Sorry” in a back-to-back singles match up. Co-produced by Skrillex, “Sorry” is the perfect EDM/pop crossover. Featuring vocal manipulations that could now be considered a Bieber signature (a la “Where Are U Now”) and a bass line that’ll blow out any cheap speakers, it’s impossible to listen to the song without dancing—a fact that was highlighted in the track’s music video. The video, which consists entirely of a group of girls dancing in ridiculous outfits and sunglasses has already inspired imitation videos from different colleges and even Halloween costumes. Bieber’s absence from the video has sparked a wave of interest as well—some argue that he’s making a feminist statement; some say it’s a nudge suggesting that he’s selfless adult now—proving that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Purpose slows down as Bieber collaborates with Ed Sheeran on the acoustic track “Love Yourself.” The song is a tastefully snarky letter to an ex-lover (rumored to be Bieber’s ex Selena Gomez), with all the satisfaction of an insult with none of the resulting guilt. Telling his ex to “go and love yourself” instead of opting for another choice word is too witty for us to call Bieber bitter—a trick that songbird Sheeran has mastered. The rest of Purpose shines in its various collaborations. “No Pressure,” a vibey EDM crossover featuring Big Sean, and “No Sense,” a trap-influenced track featuring Travi$ Scott, stand out on the latter half of the album. “The Feeling,” Bieber’s collaboration with rising pop star Halsey, is the closest that Purpose gets to actually toying with the idea of love, unlike the previous Bieber albums that were filled entirely with romantic ballads. He and Halsey ask each other if they’re really in love in this emotional duet that will have anyone listening questioning their motives in having feelings for someone.

Standouts from the rest of the album include the inescapable summer banger “Where Are U Now,” an EDM crossover produced by Skrillex, Diplo and Jack U, and the piano-driven title track “Purpose.” Bieber begs “forgive me for my sins / oh would you please?” tying the album back into its initial requests in “I’ll Show You.” The track ends with Bieber speaking over the music, encouraging both his listener and himself to “give it all you got.” It’s emotional, and hopefully genuine.

Purpose, while a skillfully written and produced album, is not finding its success because of the music’s quality—Purpose is all about Justin Bieber growing up and rebuilding the fan base that so badly wanted him to get his act together. While everyone can admit that Bieber has talent, we’ve been left wondering the past few years whether he deserves his fame. Is he a decent person? Purpose answers those questions, both in its more mature sound and its emotional, apologetic lyrics. To make a comeback, Bieber had to prove that he had matured, finally understood guilt, and appreciated his fame. Purpose does just that.

Featured Image by Def Jam Recordings