White Shines in World Juniors Hockey Tournament
Men's Hockey

Russia bounced the USA in the semifinal of the U-20 World Junior Hockey Tournament on Monday. Then, the US claimed bronze on Tuesday with a 8-3 win over Sweden. This was the third straight year that Putin’s boys ended the Americans’ chase for gold. Unlike the previous two years, when multiple Boston College players spent Christmas abroad, only one BC player suited up for Uncle Sam.

Casey Fitzgerald’s omission from the final roster left forward Colin White as the lone representative from Jerry York’s squad. White asserted his presence immediately by potting the first goal in the US’ 4-2 victory over Canada in the team’s opener. After backhanding in a pool shot off the end boards, White went somewhat viral due to his well-intended, if questionably executed, dab goal celebration. White also picked up an assist later in the US’ signature win of the tournament.

White added two more goals and three assists, finishing the tournament with seven points in seven games. He was also a +7 and put 17 shots on goal, tied for fourth on the team. As a player with a 1997 birthday, White is eligible to participate in the 2017 tournament in Canada.