Opinions, Letters To The Editor

LTE: A Response to “Eradicate Members Receive Disciplinary Action in Response to Unregistered Protest”

When I first read this article, my initial reaction was to condemn Boston College’s administration for attempting to punish an anti-racism protest. Just more ways that the administration refuses to work with the outspoken students, right? But after I reread some sections and thought about it a little more, I came to support the administration’s decision to discipline “Eradicate” members. Their protest was illegal—that’s all there is to this matter.

The article suggests that the administration is open to working with the group, as long as it is registered. If Eradicate had repeatedly tried to register their protests and signs but were denied, this would be an entirely different story. A group cannot get special treatment around the rules just because they support an important and just cause. Eradicate should have protested in accordance with the rules or, if they found the rules unfair or used against them, fought them through a lawful and institutionalized process. I have already discussed this issue with many people, and I want to be an advocate for the administration in this case; they are just following standard procedure, and would like us to do the same. If there exists some problem within the procedure itself, then disobeying will not accomplish anything. We need to work with the administration if we want anything done, and immediately causing friction is not the answer.

Madeline George

MCAS ’19

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “LTE: A Response to “Eradicate Members Receive Disciplinary Action in Response to Unregistered Protest””

1. “If there exists some problem within the procedure itself, then disobeying will not accomplish anything. We need to work with the administration if we want anything done, and immediately causing friction is not the answer.”
    Lol every person who advocated for civil disobedience was wrong. King, Gandhi, gamson, Jesus, they all said follow the rules and work with administrators because the bureaucratic leadership is trustworthy and interested in helping marginalized people.