Winter

Roundup: Katya Vasilyev Dominates as Tennis Splits Weekend

Women’s Tennis

It was a busy weekend for women’s tennis, as it took on University of Portland and then Dartmouth College. BC defeated Portland 5-2 on Friday. The teams of Emily Safron and Katya Vasilyev as well as Asiya Dair and Wan-Yi Sweeting defeated their opponents to secure a doubles sweep for the Eagles. Dair and Safron lost their singles matches, but Lexi Borr, Jackie Urbinati, Vasilyev, and Sweeting won to secure victory for BC.

On Saturday, the Eagles dropped a close contest to Dartmouth, 4-3. Dair and Sweeting claimed BC’s lone doubles victory on the day. Borr, Dair, and Vasilyev each picked up singles victories as well. In the end, it was not enough to overcome Dartmouth, and BC dropped to 4-2 on the season.

Track

Both men’s and women’s track and field ran at the Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational this weekend. In the 400 meter event, Carly Daniel’s time of 55.59 seconds earned her 14th place out of 195 runners. Julia Barron and Christina Kyritsis finished in ninth and 10th in the 500m event. Laura Hottenrott and Liv Westphal also showed dominance in the 3,000 meter event, finishing sixth and seventh, respectively. On the men’s side, Johnny Kemps finished in the top 40 of 241 runners in the 800m dash. Nicholas Nash also had a strong showing in the 200m event.

Skiing

Skiing competed in the Dartmouth College Carnival this weekend. The Eagles were unable to compete with powerhouse programs University of Vermont and Dartmouth College, the first and second place finishers with 888 and 858 points, respectively. BC tallied 184 points en route to finishing 12th out of 15 teams.

Featured Image by Kelsey McGee / Heights Editor