Water Restored to Lower Campus Late Friday Night

After a water main broke on Friday, several buildings on Lower Campus lost access to water. Corcoran Commons, Vanderslice Hall, 90 St. Thomas More Road, Stayer Hall, Robsham Theater, and floors five and higher in Walsh Hall were among those buildings affected.

Access to water was made available on Lower Campus around 8:45 p.m. Facilities Services then inspected all buildings’ systems. The check on the buildings was complete by 10:30 p.m.

The water main suffered an eight-inch break in the alley between Corcoran Commons and the Mods. Facilities Services is still unsure of the initial cause of the break.

All faucets, toilets, and showers in the impacted buildings were non-functioning. Students were asked to make sure that faucets and showers were completely turned off in their dorms and bathrooms.

Food was still available in Corcoran Commons on Friday throughout the day, but the restrooms remained out of order. Bathroom facilities were available for students in Maloney Hall, Conte Forum, and the Flynn Recreation Complex. Students could also shower in the Plex.

Welch Corporation handled the excavation on site with support from Facilities Services. Digging operations were slow and steady in the area due to the high traffic, Associate Director of Facilities Services David LaMarco said.

When the water supply returned, some students claimed that the water seemed dirty or murky. Students were advised to let the faucet run until the residue was removed.