Lumineers, Jake Bugg, and Simple Plan In Singles This Week

Jake Bugg, “On My One” from upcoming third album

3 Stars

The music of English rocker Jake Bugg has always felt like a throwback, and “On My One” is no different. In a very Johnny Cash-like track, Bugg delivers weathered lyrics about loneliness and broken dreams that might feel more authentic if they weren’t coming from a 21-year-old. If you’re looking for a run-of-the-mill acoustic blues tune, this one’s for you.

Lumineers, “Ophelia” from Cleopatra

The Lumineers deliver in the lead single from their much-anticipated sophomore album, Cleopatra. It seem to feel no need to break the trend of simple, catchy repetition that has come to define the modern pop-folk scene as they weave feel-good lyrics about young love into a song that will most certainly be stuck in the head of anyone who listens.

Simple Plan, “Opinion Overload” from Taking One for the Team

http://i0.wp.com/i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/wileysfollies/2stars_zps466c4505.jpg?w=100

No one ever said, “We NEED more Simple Plan music.” But alas, the band that was never quite The Offspring or Blink-182 has released this track from its fifth studio album Taking One for the Team. It’s a typical pop-punk song about being rebellious and not caring about others’ opinions—but that’s a tired shtick, seeing as the band members are in their 30s and their fans aren’t 14 anymore.

Featured Image By Dualtone