Men's Basketball

Freshman Guard Matt Milon to Transfer

Boston College men’s basketball got bad news today, as freshman guard Matt Milon announced he will transfer after this semester. The news was first reported by ESPN’s Jeff Goodman.

Milon later confirmed the report to The Heights in an email, but said he has not yet decided between mid-major or high-major programs for his next destination. The Oviedo, Fla., native averaged 5.4 points in 16.6 minutes per game for the Eagles in his first year under head coach Jim Christian.

The highlight of Milon’s freshman campaign came during a 25-point outburst at home against rival Syracuse. The 3-point specialist drained 5-of-7 shots from beyond the arc on his way to a career day, sparking praise from Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.

“Milon’s a deadly shooter, and they did a good job of finding him,” Boeheim said after the game. “I don’t like to see him out there against us.”

Milon also scored 16 points, including four 3-pointers, in a November win against Harvard. Despite periodic flashes of scoring potential, he struggled with earning a spot in the rotation, eventually losing playing time to fellow freshman guard Sammy Barnes-Thompkins.

The decision by the sharpshooter to leave comes just days after Western Michigan University’s Connor Tava announced he would transfer to BC for his final year of eligibility, reuniting with high school teammate A.J. Turner.