Down 2 Percent From Last Year, Admissions Received 29,000 Applications

Down 2 percent from last year, Boston College received 29,000 total applications for the class of 2020, as opposed to last year’s total of 29,486. The total number of students in the Class of 2020 is expected to be 2,280.

This year, BC received applications from all 50 states and more than 60 foreign countries. Thirty-one percent of the applicant pool was composed of AHANA students. Director of Undergraduate Admission John Mahoney said that the quality of the pool, based on standardized test scores, was similar to last year.

Now that the May 1 deadline has passed, the admissions office is currently in the process of finalizing the class and pulling students off the waitlist. Mahoney said that there will not be a clear picture of the Class of 2020 until well into the summer.

“Once all of these applications were read and decisions were communicated on March 17, the Office of Undergraduate Admission has been working hard to ensure that we enroll the best possible Class of 2020,” Mahoney said in an email.

Throughout the first weekend in April, the Office of Admission held receptions for admitted students in 18 cities across the country. The receptions took place throughout California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Puerto Rico, and Texas.

The Office of Admission also held Admitted Eagle programs on campus on April 10 and April 17. Over 2,000 admitted students attended each event.

Weekday campus yield programs were held on Tuesdays and Thursdays in April. In addition, the Keith A. Francis weekend for admitted AHANA students ran from April 9 to 11. The weekend brought in over 100 students.

“We are extremely optimistic about Boston College’s class of 2020,” Mahoney said.

Featured Image by John Wiley / Heights Senior Staff