News, Off Campus, Top Story

Police Release Suspect Detained by Students, Cite Lack of Probable Cause

Following a string of robberies in the off-campus area since December, Boston College students detained a man they believed to be a suspect around midnight Sunday night. The Boston Police Department, however, determined that there was insufficient probable cause for any charges after the male suspect was transported to the District 14 police station.

Around 12 a.m., Daniel Krall, CSOM ’17, and his friends were walking back from their friend’s house at 9 Radnor Road when they saw a man rummaging through the backyard of 45 Radnor Road. Krall described the male as African-American, 27-years-old, and wearing a black hood.

When the suspect realized that the students saw him, he sprinted into a neighboring backyard, Krall said. Krall and five of his roommates then sprinted after the man onto Kirkwood Road. The witnesses tackled the man to the ground and held him there until the Boston College Police Department arrived.

BCPD then detained the suspect until BPD arrived. The man was then transported to the District 14 station. After speaking with the witnesses and the male party, the BPD officers determined that the man should be released. The officers then transported the man to a hospital to be treated for the injuries sustained during the incident.

Krall said that he had seen the same man in his backyard prior to the incident on Monday morning. According to Krall, the man had tried to get into his house, but was unsuccessful.

District detectives were notified of the incident. A spokesperson from BPD encouraged members of the public to call 911 if they need a police response.

“We do not encourage people to ‘take matters into their own hands’ or put themselves or others in harm’s way,” the spokesperson said in an email. “Things are not always what they appear to be at first glance—and jumping to conclusions is a dangerous practice.”

Featured Image by Emily Sadeghian / Heights Senior Staff

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Police Release Suspect Detained by Students, Cite Lack of Probable Cause”

1. That man was the kirkwood tickler. Unfortunately, the witnesses lacked evidence to put that freak in jail. Next time capture him inside the house.

2. It’s good to know it’s OK to rummage around in people’s backyards. Now if I see someone rummaging around in my backyard I’ll just wave hello and go back inside to mind my own business.

3. Steve Montgomery seems to have a bunch of free time on his hands- how about we have him look into this instead of welcoming himself into off campus houses without any respect to the residents who live there