Dirty Projectors, GoldLink, and Hamilton Leithauser This Week in Singles

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, “A 1000 Times”

stars3.5

“A 1000 Times” is Hamilton Leithauser and Rostam Batmanglij’s second collaboration, and first since the latter’s departure from Vampire Weekend. Leithauser’s ability to elevate his vocals to soaring heights and Rostam’s tasteful instrumentation make for a delicious melding of rock and pop.

https://youtu.be/V50OMXcYBcY

Dirty Projectors, “Keep Your Name”

stars3

Their first release in four years, Dirty Projectors’s “Keep Your Name” is a dramatic departure from the band’s old sound. Gone are the guitars and lovely vocals of Amber Coffman and Angel Deradoorian. Now, in what is essentially Longstreth’s solo project, the song outlines his differences with Coffman, from whom he split after their 2012 LP Swing Lo Magellan. In a weird twist, the underlying loop is a sample from Magellan’s “Impregnable Question.”

GoldLink ft. April George, “Rough Soul”

stars3

The Washington, D.C., rapper has always been meticulous. Starting with a warm synth and subtle drum loops, “Rough Soul” treads with delicacy—it moves forward, but you barely notice its momentum. With lush Blood Orange-like instrumentation and the appearance of April George it’s both alive and subdued at the same time.

Featured Image By Domino Records