Administration, Featured Story, On Campus, News

Benefactors Attended a Gala to Close out Light the World Campaign

To wrap up the Light the World campaign, which raised $1.605 billion, over 350 Boston College donors attended the Light the World Gala Finale on Sept. 29.

The gala was held in a tent behind the newly renovated McMullen Museum on Brighton Campus. University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., praised benefactors for their donations, noting the record-breaking donations amid a great economic recession.

“We proceeded with confidence and hope, knowing that we would face challenges but also convinced that the campaign was critical for the development of Boston College and confident that our alumni, parents, and friends would respond generously,” Leahy said at the event.

Leahy also explained why the University chose the name Light the World—to remind people about BC’s mission and its role as a powerful beacon.

Campaign co-chairs William J. Geary, BC ’80, Kathleen McGillycuddy, BC ’71, and Charles Clough, BC ’64, also spoke on behalf of the University and thanked donors.

Students from the St. Columbkille Partnership School in Brighton and BC performed at the event. Michelle Miller, BC ’98, also performed.

The Light the World campaign is one of the most successful capital campaigns among universities in this decade, raising a record amount of funds. It is also among the largest campaigns of any Catholic university.

“Tonight is a time for celebration, gratitude, and rededication, for moving forward with great hope and confidence,” Leahy said. “And to remember that as alumni, parents, and friends of Boston College, we are called to light the world now and forever.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Matthew Bellico