Frank Ocean and Jay Z Go for a Ride in ‘Biking’ and More in Singles This Week

“Despacito” by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber 

Justin Bieber is melting Latin America and the world with his remix of Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito.” A cheesy reggaeton plainly about slow sex, it’s a song that could be easily lost in Latin music irrelevancy. Bieber whispering sweet nothings in Spanish, however, makes it a masterpiece.

“The Cure” by Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga’s new single is just boring. It steers away from the incredible originality of her last album Joanne, and returns clumsily to her origins. “The Cure” is a slow and uneventful track, filled with musical clichés. It’s led by timid, awkward vocals singing problematically dull lyrics: “If I can’t find the cure, I’ll / I’ll fix you with my love.”

“Biking” by Frank Ocean Feat. JAY Z & Tyler, The Creator

“Biking” is a beautiful collaboration between Frank Ocean, Tyler The Creator, and Jay Z. The track collects quirky metaphors and word plays about riding actual bikes, leading to a point about the freedom of letting go being like biking down a hill. Once again, Ocean manages to create a strong anthem about surrendering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcCrKb_jgKs

Featured Image By Boys Don’t Cry